- defined in the federal Section 504 regulations at 34 C.F.R. § 104.44(a) (2006) as:
Such modifications to the academic requirements as are necessary to ensure that such requirements do not discriminate or have the effect of discriminating, on the basis of [disability] against a qualified … applicant or student [with a disability]. Academic requirements that the recipient can demonstrate are essential to the instruction being pursued by such student or to any directly related licensing requirement will not be regarded as discriminatory within the meaning of this section.
Auxiliary aids and services
- defined in the federal Section 504 regulations at 34 C.F.R. § 104.44(d), and in the
Title II regulations at 28 C.F.R. § 35.104.
Restrictions: Institutions are not required to provide:
- personal devices and services such as attendants
- individually prescribed devices, such as eyeglasses
- readers for personal use or study
- other services of a personal nature, such as tutoring